Temporary U.S. Visas For Businesses

Travel, education, and business are the main reasons people come to the United States for a short time. Temporary visas, known as nonimmigrant visas, are needed for those here temporarily (however, no visa is necessary for a business meeting or vacation if you are a citizen of countries participating in the Visa Waiver Program). 

The best way to understand prospective employees and nonimmigration visas is to enlist the help of a corporate law firm in Miami.

Nonimmigrant visas are for those temporarily entering the United States for a short yet extended period of time. They may not be used to live in the United States permanently and, as such, have an expiration date. If someone is staying for work or school, even if from a country on the Visa Waiver Program (except the first 90 days), they will need to obtain a nonimmigrant visa. 

When considering employment, temporary work visas cannot be indefinite. A petition will be required of a prospective employer who will need to apply to American authorities beforehand. The employee will use the approved petition to obtain the visa. 

There are several types of nonimmigrant visas for employment. H-1B and H-1B1 visas are for professional-level employment opportunities in which the employee needs a bachelor’s degree and an employer sponsor to qualify. H-2A and H-2B visas are required for seasonal work that is unavailable to U.S. citizens. This could be agricultural or non-agricultural. 

Other temporary work visas include L-1A and L-1B visas (for employees transferring within companies to an American-based office) and certain P visas for entertainers and artists.

To fully understand your business and its nonimmigrant visa needs, speak to an M&A attorney in Miami from Alvarez & Diaz-Silveria. Our attorneys have extensive knowledge in handling business immigration. Call us at 305.740.1940 or visit us online.