- Corporate Restructuring / Distressed Mergers & Acquisitions
- Bankruptcy / Creditors’ Rights
- Bachelor Business Administration, University of Miami
- Juris Doctor, Boston College School of Law
- Florida, October 1985
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida (General and Trial Bars)
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida (General and Trial Bars)
Honors & Recognition
- “AV” rated by Martindale-Hubbell (2000 – Present)
- Named a “Best Lawyers in America” by the publication of the same name (2004, 2005, 2006)
- Listed as one of "Florida’s Top Lawyers" in Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights Law by Florida Monthly Magazine (2005)
- Recognized as one of Florida Trend's “Florida Legal Elite” (2005)
- Panel Member, The Sixth, Seventh, Eighth and Ninth Conferences for the Lawyers of the Americas (sponsored by the Cuban-American Bar Association and the University of Miami School of Law)
- Panel Member, TheSixth Inter-American Conference of North-American Law for Latin-American Jurists (sponsored by the University of Miami School of Law)
- Panel Member, The Bankruptcy Reform Act of 1994 - A Practical View Seminar (sponsored by the Continuing Legal Education Committee and the Business Law Section of The Florida Bar)
- Panel Member, U.S. Bankruptcy / Insolvency Laws and Foreign Proceedings(sponsored by the Berlin Bankruptcy Bar Association, in Berlin, Germany – October 30, 2000)
- Panel Member, “Establishing a Dialogue with the Mexican Federal Judiciary on Bankruptcy Issues” (sponsored by the National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges, the American Bankruptcy Institute, the Latino Turnaround and Insolvency Network, and the Los Angeles Bankruptcy Forum, in Los Angeles, Ca. - October 12 – 14, 2003). I was part of a small group of U.S Bankruptcy practitioners invited to present a program to a group of Mexican Bankruptcy Judges concerning the subject of U.S. Bankruptcy Laws and the challenges Mexican Bankruptcy Judges were likely to encounter under then recently enacted Mexican Insolvency Laws (the materials were prepared, and lectures were delivered, in Spanish).
- Panel Member, “The Lenders' Panel: Caribbean / South American Cross-Border Issues" (sponsored by The American Bankruptcy Institute's Third Caribbean Insolvency Symposium, San Juan, Puerto Rico, February 9, 2007).
- Moderator / Panel Member (in English and / or Spanish) on the following subjects:
- the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act,
- Anti-Corruption in Latin America,
- Diversity & Inclusion,
- Sponsorship and Mentoring,
- Talent Development and Management (Recruiting, Development, Retention & Promotion)
- Founding and Current Director and Treasurer, Miami International Arbitration Society, Inc.
- Director and Treasurer, Miami International Arbitration Foundation, Inc.
- Board of Advisors, The Inter-American Dialogue’s Financial Advisor Services Newsletter
- Board of Advisors, The IDEA Center at Miami-Dade College
- Volunteer Reader, WLRN’s Radio Reading Services (RRS)
- Chairman -Transition Board of Directors, Pan American Hospital (Appointed by U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Florida, Chapter 11 Case No. 04—11819-BKC-AJC), Order Confirming Chapter 11 Plan entered on March 29, 2007)
Rudy has been admitted to practice law for more than 30 years, advising financial and other lending institutions before state and federal regulators, and representing same in complex commercial litigation matters in state and federal courts (including bankruptcy courts) throughout the U.S. and in other countries.
Prior to joining Alvarez & Diaz-Silveira LLP, Rudy served as the leader of the Financial Advisory Services practice (“FAS”) of a Big 4 Firm in Florida/Puerto Rico for 10 years. He was responsible for various areas of that Firm’s FAS practice, including the Forensic & Dispute Services (which included E-Discovery, Anti-Money Laundering, Bank Secrecy Act, and other areas concerning Regulatory and Compliance for several industries, including the Financial Services industry), Corporate Restructuring, Valuation, and the Corporate Finance / Mergers & Acquisitions practices.
While at that Big 4 Firm, Rudy held several leadership roles, including serving on the FAS Executive Committee, as the FAS National Diversity & Inclusion Leader, the National Managing Principal for the Firm’s Business Resource Groups. He also worked with the Latin American/Caribbean member firms of said Big 4 Firm on their cross-border financial advisory engagements in and throughout that region.
Rudy has maintained an AV® rating by Martindale-Hubbell® since 2000. He has been named as one of the “Best Lawyers in America” by the publication of the same name (2004, 2005 and 2006); and has been recognized as one of Florida Monthly’s “Florida’s Top Lawyers,” Florida Trend’s “Florida Legal Elite,” and a “Florida SuperLawyer.”
Rudy is fluent in Spanish.