- Immigration, Deportation and Refugee Law
- Confidential Counsel to individuals and organizations faced with a broad range of Immigration Law issues.
- J.D., St. John’s University, Queens County, NY
- B.A., Villanova University, Villanova, PA
BAR ADMISSIONS and Memberships
- New York State, 1975
- Southern and Eastern Federal Distrct Courts of NY, 1975
- Second Circuit Federal Court of Appeals, 1975
Honors & Recognition
- Public Interest Law Leadership Award from The Legal Aid Society of New York, 2011, career achievement recognition
- International Diploma in Humanitarian Administration (Honoris Causa), Fordham University, NY; University of Geneva and Royal College of Surgeons, Dublin 2004
- Asian Law Journal, Hong Kong 1994
- ABA Presidential Report: America’s Children at Risk 1993
- American Society of International Law 2000
- Maintaining a low volume/high service immigration practice, Mr. Stillwaggon has represented three generations of several families in their quests to establish a permanent legal presence in the US, to launch businesses, to purchase homes; and, when members of those familes have exhibited poor judgement, to protect them from deportation.
- Represents banks, corporations, institutions and high net worth individuals in connection with a broad range of of immigration and citizenship issues, including investment and employment visas, immigration compliance, complex contested Removal Proceedings and Waivers of Inadmissibility.
- Serve as outside immigration counsel to banks, accounting firms, aircraft manufacturers and maritime service companies.
- Representation of Treaty Traders and Investors and Immigrant Investors.
- Representation of corporate executives faced with Removal for weapons possession, DWI and white collar crime offenses.
- Class action litigation on behalf of Cuban Detainees at Guantanamo.
- Management of the Juvenile Deportation Docket at the NY Immigration Court.
- Serves as a Lecturer on Refugee and Asylum Law at Fordham University’s Institute of International Humanitarian Affars.
Affiliations and Community Activities
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Point Lookout Chamber of Commerce
From May 2014, Jim Stillwaggon has been Counsel at Alvarez & Diaz-Silveira LLP. For 28 years immediately prior to that, Jim was Counsel at the New York City office of White & Case LLP where he developed and directed the firm’s corporate immigration law practice and managed and directed the firm’s pro bono practice domestically and internationally. He was also previously a partner at the firms of Kelleher & Stillwaggon in New York City and Barry, Barry & Stillwaggon in Long Island City, New York.