- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Entity Formation and JV Negotiations
- Limited Liability Company, Limited Partnership and Shareholder Agreements
- General Counsel Services
- Corporate Governance
- Borrower side bank loans
- Private equity raises
- J.D., Order of the Coif, University of Miami, Miami, FL
- M.S. Education, Nova Southeastern University, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- B.S. Elementary Education, Barry University, Miami Shores, FL
- Florida Bar, 1997
- New York Bar, 2015
- Tennessee Bar, 2020
Awards and Press
- Top 50 Women-Led Business Leaders in Florida (The Commonwealth Institute and Kaufman Rossin), 2019 and 2020
- Most Effective Lawyer in the category of International Transactions (Daily Business Review), 2018
- Dealmaker (Daily Business Review) for a transaction involving a Colombian micro-lender client’s financing from a multilateral development bank, 2016
- Top Dealmaker of the Year for the Industrial category (Daily Business Review), 2015
- Dealmaker (Daily Business Review) for a transaction involving a client’s acquisition and financing of a wind farm in Panama, 2015
- Represented manufacturing company in its joint venture arrangements in Europe.
- Acted as lead counsel in an $875 million acquisition by the firm’s client, Dometic, of Seastar Solutions from a private equity fund.
- Co-counseled with entertainment attorneys to assist music industry clients with corporate, limited liability company and limited partnership matters related to music publishing, distribution and merchandising.
- Represented investors in purchasing general partnership and limited liability company membership interests and the related restructuring of the business ventures.
- Represented the purchaser of an interest in a liquid natural gas processing plant in Trinidad & Tobago.
- Represented client in the drafting of settlement documents and related business agreements in connection with the resolution of a breach of contract and warranty international arbitration that was handled by litigation co-counsel.
- Represented real estate developers in the drafting and negotiation of limited liability company agreements with finance partners.
- Represented private equity fund in its acquisition of pre-schools and K-8 schools throughout the United States.
- Represented start-up companies in their entity formation and seed stage investments using convertible notes.
- Handle day-to-day contract matters for clients by providing general counsel services.
Affiliations and Community Activities
- New York State Bar Association
- Out of State Member of House of Delegates
- Member of the Law Practice Management Committee
- Member of the Membership Committee
- Chair of Out of State Subcommittee
- Florida Association of Women Lawyers (Miami-Dade and Broward Chapters)
- The Commonwealth Institute - Executive Forum member
- Business Law Section of the Florida Bar
Colleen’s ability to process and solve complex legal issues, and her experience in effectively educating and counseling clients help add value to any transaction. Colleen has over 20 years of legal experience that includes work with international and domestic business transactions, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures especially with respect to the drafting of limited liability company and shareholder agreements, private company investments, borrower side bank finance transactions, and general contract review and corporate matters.
Colleen regularly represents clients on both large transactional matters and more routine business operational needs. She is especially adept at managing complex transactions and coordinating the legal teams that are required to close them effectively so that clients can utilize her as their single point person. She works well with management team members of clients as well as other professional advisors. Additionally, she helps clients solve day-to-day problems and to put more routine business agreements in place. Clients have commented that she is “so valuable to us” and that working with her “was the most pleasurable experience with an attorney we have ever had” and have often remarked on Colleen’s “quick response time” and her ability to always meet deadlines.
Prior to joining Alvarez & Diaz-Silveira LLP, Colleen was a corporate attorney in the Miami, Stockholm, and Helsinki offices of the international law firm of White & Case LLP and then taught at Nova Southeastern University’s Shepard Broad College of Law. At NSU, she taught critical legal skills utilizing substantive material from many subject areas including contracts, business entities, and professional responsibility. She also continues to assist in preparing student teams for, and judging, competitions related to international arbitration, client counseling and transactional drafting.