Are Visas Required to Work in the United States?

A work visa is required if you are a foreign national who wishes to work in the United States. The type you’ll need is determined by a variety of variables, including how long you plan to stay in the United States, your field of work, and your current employer. The following are some of the types of work visas to consider:

Visas For Temporary Workers

If you only want to work in the United States for a short period of time, you should apply for a nonimmigrant temporary work visa. These visas come in more than 20 different kinds. Nonimmigrant petitions are typically filed by your employer on your behalf. The H-1B visa is frequently utilized by professionals in specialized fields.

Visas For Permanent Workers

You can live and work in the United States permanently if you have an employment-based visa. People with the correct set of talents, education, and experience are eligible for a limited number of these visas. For employment-based applications, there are five preference categories:

First Preference: People with exceptional abilities, prominent professors or researchers, as well as global CEOs and managers.

Second Preference: Professionals with advanced degrees and those with remarkable skills in the arts, sciences, or business.

Third Preference: Professional and skilled workers.

Fourth Preference: “Special immigrants,” which include some religious workers and US foreign service personnel.

Fifth Preference: Certain business investors who make big investments in a new business that employs 10 or more full-time U.S. employees.

You may be able to bring your spouse or children into the United States if you are a permanent or temporary worker. An accurate application and complete grasp of the petition process will help to assure your acceptance, regardless of the type of visa.

Alvarez & Diaz-Silveira LLP is a corporate law firm in Miami, focusing on international and domestic M&A, finance, real estate and corporate immigration. For more information, visit us online or call (305) 740-1940.